Monday 1 February 2010

Irritating... so what?

Call me a pedant, but I find myself increasingly irritated by BBC people saying If this was the case.

We all know language evolves, but as most BBC staff have had expensive educations I just find it irksome.

Another mildly irritating thing, currently, is Word nagging me about things it thinks I should have done - by capitalizing a letter, for instance, or substituting the letter z when I actually typed an s – which it has just done to me, you will notice, earlier in this sentence.

I would like to be able to speak a bit impolitely to Word and say: if I wanted to write capitalized, I would have written capitalized.

It’s a bit like being a child again and having your mother pointing out the perceived shortcomings in your behavior.

I realise (rather than realize - thanks) that this irritation is a pretty minor consideration when placed against the huge number of embarrassing little gaffes Word saves you from. So I suppose I’m not complaining. I’m just wasting my time (and yours, if you’re reading this).

No comments:

Post a Comment