Friday 16 October 2009

Passion fatigue

What condition prevailed amongst the British middle classes before they became passionate?

I ask because it was only fairly recently that passion seemed to break out, but now it’s all over the place. You can’t look at a website, CV or e-mail without being assaulted by sheer passion.

I thought I’d seen it deployed in some every possible context until, heading west from Plymouth recently, I found myself following a truck operated by a firm which declared itself “passionate about your laundry”.

Dictionaries define passion as a very powerful feeling, for example of sexual attraction, love, hate, anger or other emotion… an extreme interest in doing something, so it’s an irony that it has become just about the most humdrum word you can turn to.

One principle I have applied in recent years when sorting job applications is that the applicants who declare themselves passionate about the area of activity they are seeking to work in go to the bottom of the pile.

Come on people, it’s time to think of a less hackneyed way of expressing enthusiasm. Thesaurusising is not my function, but here are a few possible ideas for anyone who would like them: resourceful, dedicated, committed, enthusiastic…

Or try good old British understatement: “Quite keen about raising standards in the world of glue”.

I am proud to say that I operate in a passion-free zone. My friends would tell you that that’s no surprise. Actually I haven’t really got many friends. That’s what can happen if you don’t show some passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment