Friday 30 October 2009

Thought for the day

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold
The best lack all conviction, while the worst ….

I don’t know what made me think of that, specifically, but I was disappointed that I couldn’t remember the rest. Thanks to the www I was soon able to get it.

Not all that long ago it would have meant a trip to the reference library (unless one happened to have a volume or two of W B Yeats on one’s bookshelves) and I'm sure I wouldn’t have got round to it.

Whatever the merits and de-merits of instant communication, the ability to instantly look things up must be one of the most remarkable changes of the last decade or two.

So I had my thought for the day tracked down in about 30 seconds flat. Not that it’s a particularly cheerful one…

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

But there you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment