Tuesday 24 November 2009

Murderesses live!

There is still such a thing as a murderess! I know that because I heard it last night on Radio 4.

The Duchess of York’s former aide Jane Andrews, who apparently took out a chap of her acquaintance because he didn’t want to marry her (beat him with a cricket bat and then stabbed him - you wouldn’t want to mess with Fergie’s lot, would you?) has absconded from the open prison where she was serving her life sentence.

It’s nice to know there are still murderesses, isn’t it? Kind of cosy. Straight out of Sherlock Holmes. In an age when actresses and manageresses long ago decided they would rather be actors and managers, we still have murderesses. According to the BBC, at any rate.

I wonder if it’s a class thing: ie female killers from the lower orders are murderers while those who move in more elevated circles classify as murderesses? I wonder, but I’m not interested enough to research it.

No comments:

Post a Comment